This post may contain affiliate links.
This simple chickpea curry recipe isn’t just the perfect meal for plant-based eaters. It’s also a yummy, high-fiber side dish that will win over any picky eater. It’s also simple to make, so let’s get started!
A Simple Chickpea Recipe You’ll want to make more than once.
The thing that makes this recipe stand apart from others is that the chickpeas are paired with two other ingredients that compliment them so much – kale and delicata squash. Together, they make the perfect combo for texture, flavor and color. They’re also all high in fiber, which reduced the carb count, making them a super weight-loss friendly combo.
Spicing up your Chickpea Curry Recipe
My recommendations for spices are based on a simple garam masala blend (which is basically a pre-mixed Indian spice blend that’s perfect for any dish from that region). I also add extra turmeric however, because it’s such a high-quality superfood. Turmeric is ideal for reducing inflammation – something many of us struggle with, either because of lifestyle-induced issues or just eating highly inflammatory foods.
However, I want to encourage you to play with the level of spices in your food! Don’t just listen to me – get creative. Try more (or less) garam masala or turmeric to see what works best for your palate. You might also want to experiment with adding some paprika or coriander. Just add in very small amounts so you don’t over do it.
I also recommend adding salt and pepper at the very end so you can adjust to your specific taste. This is the fun part of cooking!
Make it ahead of time and enjoy it all week
This chickpea curry recipe is an ideal workday lunch (or dinner) that you can make on a Sunday and pack for the week. It will stand up well in the fridge for about 5 – 7 days and the flavor only gets better with age.
Can you freeze chickpea curry?
Absolutely! Just pack it in an air-tight container and it will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
What more simple curry ideas?
- Try this slow cooker pumpkin curry. It’s also plant-based, but packed with protein.
Simple Chickpea curry with kale & squash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lrg onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger I use minced ginger in a tube, but feel free to use fresh!
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic also from a jar
- 1 delicata squash chopped (about 2 cups)
- one 15 ounce jar of canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk well stirred
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/8 tsp of stevia
- 2 cups kale torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 handful of minced cilantro for garnish
- salt + pepper to taste
- Prep and chop your veggies first.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook for a minute or two until translucent.
- Reduce heat, add the garlic and ginger and spices.
- Cook for another minute or two. Add the chopped squash, chickpeas, the coconut milk, and stevia. Stir well and reduce heat for 25 mins. Add water if you want to adjust the consistency of curry.
- Add the kale and the cilantro to the pan and stir. Remove from stove and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chickpeas over cauliflower rice and feel free to squeeze a little lime juice on it before serving if you're feeling fancy!