This post may contain affiliate links.
Not sure how to cook wheat berries? No worries boo, I’ve got you covered, along with a recipe for the most amazing wheat berry stew. It looks like it came straight out of a French countryside kitchen. All it needs is a little crusty bread and a chilled glass of chardonnay it’s its good to go.
How to Cook Wheat Berries
There’s some controversy over whether or not to soak wheat berries overnight. You can, and the recipe below calls for it, but if you don’t want to, just add an additional 10 minutes to the cook time and you’ll be fine. In terms of how to cook them, in a pot boiled with 3x the amount of water is best (so, 1 cup of wheat berries should be cooked in 3 cups of water).
The boiling time will vary based on the berries you purchased and how old they are, so aim for about 30 minutes of simmering time, after they’ve been brought to a boil. You may need anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes more depending on your wheat berries, so just be flexible and check them often. When cooked, they should have some firmness to them and a little chewiness, but not mushy.
Want a great Wheat Berry Recipe?
Scroll down! I’ve got you covered. However, before you go there, know that it’s going to take a little time to prepare this dish, because wheat berries take time to cool. But also know that it’s 4000% worth it.
How to cook Wheat berries in an Instant Pot
- Use the same ratio of 1 part wheat berries to 3 parts water.
- Put the Instant Pot to manual
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Release the steam
- Carry on with the rest of the recipe below 🙂
Want more warm plant-based soup & stew ideas?
Wintery Wheat Berry Stew
- 1 cup wheat berries soaked overnight (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried rosemary
- ½ of a fennel chopped
- 1 delicata squash cubed
- 1 sweet potato skinned and cubed
- 1 cup diced cabbage 1/2 inch dice
- ½ pound fresh oyster mushrooms sliced
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms sliced
- 5 medium portobello mushrooms slice
- 4 cups vegetable soup broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add soaked wheat berries with 6 cups of water and kombu. Simmer covered for about 40 mins, or until most of the water is absorbed. Once cooked, remove kombu.
- In a skillet, sauté onions in half the olive oil for a few minutes, then add salt,garlic, thyme and rosemary. Then add in the fennel, squash, potato and cabbage.
- Cook for a few more minutes, then add the contents of the skillet into the pot with the wheat berries. Add veggie soup base to desired consistency, then cover with lid and bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reusing the now empty skillet, add the remaining olive oil to the pan and then stir in mushrooms. Add more salt and pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms start to brown, then add to soup.
- Cook stew for 10 to 15 more minutes, until flavors have combined. Serve warm.