This post may contain affiliate links.
A hearty, but simple keto chicken soup. Perfect for low carb or keto diets or simply healing the sniffles all winter long.
I know many of you come here because you’re trying to be healthier or even lose weight. Keto diets are very popular these days because you can start seeing results pretty quickly. While I’m not here to argue for or against the merits of the keto diet, I will say that ensuring you still get some green veggies into day, should be a non-negotiable, and this soup will help you do just that.
The Healing Qualities of Keto Chicken Soup
There’s actually science behind the immune-boosting, mucus-clearing benefits of chicken soup, but I won’t bore or gross you out with deets about white cells and upper respiratory relief. Rather, I like to believe that anything made with love has the potential to heal another person because the intention of care is transferred from the soup-maker to the soup-eater. I’m not sure if the same applies to chocolate cake, but if you venture to try, let me know what you find out.
Why Add Kale to Keto Soup?
Kale an ideal green to add to keto soup recipes because it’s an instant vitamin and antioxidant boost without adding carbs. One cup of kale has about 5g of net carbs, so it won’t push you out of ketosis. Also, kale is one of the few leafy greens that will stand up to the heat of soup because of its hearty texture. Just make sure you’re cutting it into bite-sized pieces. Nobody wants to fish a giant soggy leaf out of their soup bowl. If you don’t buy your kale pre-washed and chopped (as I do), then use a mezzaluna knife to get it well chopped. They’re so fun!
Wait, Are Carrots Keto?
I think this is up for debate. Generally speaking, root veggies have more carbs than green leafy veggies, but this recipe only calls for .5 a cup, so that’s about 5 net carbs. The benefit of adding carrots to this soup is that it adds texture and color. Believe it or not, we eat with our eyes, so having a pop of color in your bowl (not to mention the additional fiber and beta carotene) is helpful. If you want to be super-keto, you can just leave it out of the recipe.
The secret to making this soup taste amazing
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s all about the salt, my friend. ff you’re low carb or Keto, then ensuring you are getting enough sodium is critical and there’s no better source (in my opinion) than Maldon flaked sea salt. Friends, this isn’t any sea salt… this is THE sea salt that will make all your food taste like it just came out of a gourmet kitchen. I came across it at a restaurant, and it automatically made the taste of everything I ordered jump from an 8/10 to a 14/10.
It’s that good.
Want more great keto soup ideas?
- Keto Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Cauliflower & Artichoke Soup
- Fish Stew
- Roasted Red Pepper and Ginger Soup
Keto Chicken Soup
- Cuisinart 12 Quart Stock Pot
- .7 lbs of chicken breast about two small breasts - you can cut this into bite-sized pieces or wait until it’s cooked, then pull it out and chop.
- .5 cup finely chopped carrot - thin slices is key!
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken or veg stock
- 1 cup kale chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice - or more if you like lemony soup
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt - I recommend flake salt because it’s the bomb
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of water
- In a medium or large pot, add the chopped onion, carrot, celery with chicken, vinegar, lemon, and bay leaf. Let simmer until chicken is cooked - about 10 minutes.
- If the chicken isn’t cut up, now is the time to take it out and do that. Otherwise, move onto the next step.
- Add broth, basil, oregano and let simmer a few more minutes.
- Add salt and taste to your liking. You can add more salt, lemon juice or vinegar to suit your taste.
- Once the broth is just right, add the chopped kale and stir in.
- Turn off heat and let stand for a few minutes until kale is cooked (that won’t take long).
- Serve and go!